- Fills one 11cm x 13cm pie dish
- 100g blanched & drained spinach leaves, trimmed of any large tough stalks 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, stems trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 egg
- 100g quality feta cheese, crumbled 2 tsp fresh dill, or 1 tsp dried
- 2tsp ground mixed spice or cinnamon 6 sheets of filo pastry
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil, more if needed
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Wash fresh spinach in cold water to remove any grit, then drain it. Place in a saucepan with a little of its draining water and cook with the lid on for a couple of minutes until wilted but not mushy. Drain well on a clean tea towel for half an hour, then chop finely.
- To make the filling: In a mixing bowl, add the spinach and the remaining filling ingredients. Stir until all is well-combined.
- Unroll the filo sheets and place them between two very lightly damp kitchen cloths. Prepare a 9½" X 13" baking dish. Brush the bottom and sides of the dish with olive oil.
- To assemble the Spanakopita: Line the baking dish with two sheets of filo letting them cover the sides of the dish. Brush with olive oil.
- Evenly spread half the spinach and feta filling over the filo crust. Top with two more sheets, and brush with olive oil.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture and top off with two sheets of filo, ruching the top sheet attractively.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the filo crust is crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven.