1tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into 5mm dice
1 stalk of celery, cut into 5mm dice
1 medium carrot, cut into 5mm dice
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
500g beef or lamb mince
6 vine-ripened tomatoes cut into 5mm dice (or 1 can of chopped tomatoes)
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Half a glass of good dry white or red wine
- Warm the oil in a roomy saucepan, then add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Sweat for five to ten minutes over a gentle heat until the onions become translucent.
- Meanwhile, fry the mince in a little oil in a roomy frying pan until brown, stirring occasionally and breaking up the clumps.
- Add the mince to the onion mixture, then add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for at least two hours, preferably four. Add some water from time to time if the sauce looks a little dry.
- Finally, taste and add more salt in necessary.
- Serve with a bowl of steaming pasta such as spaghetti or penne for a family favourite.