The warehouse was built in 1830 to take goods and fuel and distribute it to the thriving industrial businesses that made up the area’s industrial community.
Since the demise of the canal following the coming of the railways in the mid 1800’s the warehouse has worn various guises until becoming part of the Exeter Maritime Museum in the 70’s. After the Maritime museum was broken up in the 90’s 60 Haven Road became somewhat derelict until the arrival of Exeter Cookery School in 2016.
Inside, Jim and Lucy have transformed the drab and echoing interior into one of Exeter’s finest and most sought-after venues. As befits an historic canal-side building they have created a light and spacious interior in contemporary industrial-chic style achieved using a mix of antique ships lighting, bare scraped brick walls and polished natural-colour concrete flooring.
Outside, the Fishers have respected the vernacular by painting the windows, doors and walls in sympathetic heritage colours in keeping with neighbouring buildings.